As the weekend forecast is so grim, batten down the hatches, ramp up the heating and bake a cake.
I’ve shamelessly stolen this lemon drizzle cake recipe from Mumsnet but it’s so easy and fuss-free, you could pick up the ingredients on the way home tonight and be tucking into it along with a well-deserved cuppa in no time at all.
- 225g (9oz) sugar
- 225g (9oz) butter
- 340g (12oz) self-raising flour
- 4 beaten eggs
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 lemons or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4/335F/170C.
- Mix all the ingredients (except the lemon) together and pour into a lined tray or loaf tin.
- Bake for approx 30-40 mins.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl and heat for approx 20 seconds in a microwave. You can add icing sugar to the juice to thicken the mixture.
- Prick the cake with a fork and pour the lemon juice mixture all over the cake.
Verdict: will definitely cheer up a cold & wet weekend.